• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4-5 cloves garlic
• 2-3 chillies (optional)
• 2cm slab of ginger
• 3.5 teaspoons Masala or Garam Masala
• 2.5 teaspoons Tumeric
• Additional 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 onion, finely sliced
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 4-5 fenugreek seeds
• 1kg chicken thighs roughly cut into cubes
• 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into same sizes of the chicken
• Additional 1/2 onion, finely sliced
• 1/4 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
• 2 cups of water
• 1.5 desertspoons of tomato paste.
1. Cut up and crush 1/2 teaspoon of salt, garlic, chillies and ginger.
2. Place Masala, Tumeric and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a small bowl and make into a paste with water.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in heavy base pan, add onion, cinnamon and fenugreek seeds. Stir in crushed ingredients and add 6 curry leaves, stir until onion softens.
4. Add paste ingredients.
5. Add chicken. Stir in and cover for 5 minutes.
6. Add potatoes, stir and replace lid.
7. Cook on fairly high until potato is softened (not mushy).
8. Add the additional 1/2 of finely sliced onion, coriander with 2 cups of water and tomato paste.
9. Cook until meat is tender.
SERVES 4 – 6
Has no coconut milk, but if you prefer something a bit creamy add some natural yoghurt and stir through just before serving. Serve with brown rice.
Gluten Free: yes
Added Sugar: No
Lactose Free: yes