• 1 red onion, roughly chopped
• 6 cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon tumeric
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• juice of 1 lime
• 12 large green prawns, peeled and deveined, tails left on
• 2 calamari tubes, cut into 2cm-wide strips
• extra juice from 1 lime
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• extra lime wedges to serve.
1. Place the onion, garlic, sugar, tumeric, cumin and lime juice into the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture forms a paste.
2. Make a slit in each of the prawns and place 1/2 teaspoon of the paste into the prawns. Reserve remaining paste.
3. Thread the calamari strips onto small wooden skewers, finishing each skewer with a prawn. Place the skewers in a large, heatproof dish in a single layer. Combine the remaining paste with the extra lime juice and brown sugar, and pour over the skewers. Stand for about 5 minutes.
4. Cook the skewers under a preheated hot grill until seafood is cooked through and the prawns turn pink – it should take no more than 5 minutes. Serve skewers immediately with lime wedges.
These will also cook beautifully on a barbeque or grill.
Gluten Free: yes
Added Sugar: No
Lactose Free: yes