• 1 whole medium sized organic chicken
• 2 sticks lemongrass – remove base of stems, and chop roughly.
• Medium sized Ginger root – thickly slice
• Small Galangal root – chop roughly
• 4 garlic cloves – peel and leave whole
• 4 Kaffir lime leaves
• Handful whole black peppercorns
• 2 Bunches coriander – wash well and chop roughly the roots.
• Tablespoon whole coriander seeds
• Juice of one lime
• Fish sauce
• 2 spring onions finely chopped
• 1/2 packet Vermicelli rice noodles
– Remove any fat in cavity of chicken and put in a large saucepan, fill with cold water until just covered. – – Add lemongrass, ginger, galangal root, garlic cloves, peppercorns, coriander roots, coriander seeds, and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 45 mins with lid on. Take off the heat and leave to cool.
– Remove chicken from stock once cooled – strain stock. Skim off any fat off surface of the stock.
– Take chicken meat off the bone and remove skin. Tear meat into shreds.
– Re- heat stock, and add vermicelli rice noodles once it has reached a slow boil. These only take 3-5 mins to cook and will swell. When close to cooked, add chicken shreds, a good handful of chopped coriander, spring onions, fish sauce to taste and juice of lime.
Serve in bowls with a little extra chopped coriander.
Different brands of packet dried rice noodles come in different quantities. To guage quantity, add about 1 small handful of vermicelli noodles per person Chilli has been omitted from this recipe, but can be added if your program permits.
Gluten Free: Yes
Added Sugar: Yes
Lactose Free: yes