• 500g medium green prawns, peeled, tails left on, reserve heads and shells
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 carrot, chopped
• 1 stalk celery, chopped
• few sprigs of parsley
• salt and pepper to taste
• 5 cups water or chicken stock
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• teaspoon butter
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• extra 2 medium onions, chopped
• 1 cup aborio rice
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 1 small tomato, chopped
• 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Place heads and shells of prawns in a pot, add onion, carrot, celery, parsley, salt and pepper. Add water, stir. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Strain, discard shells and vegetables, reserve stock.
2. Heat oil and butter in a pan, add prawns and cook over high heat until just pink. Remove and set aside. Add garlic, and extra onions to the pan, cook 2 to 3 minutes, add rice, stir to coat. Add 1 cup hot stock, cook stirring frequently until rice has absorbed liquid. Add wine and tomato. Continue stirring, adding stock a cup at a time, until rice is creamy, but still al dente (about 18 minutes). Add prawns in the last 5 minutes. Add more stock if needed, stir in cheese and serve immediately. Store bought fish or chicken stock can be used in place of prawn stock, if preferred.
The parmesan cheese is optional – if your skin is congested do not add it to the dish.
Gluten Free: yes
Added Sugar: No
Lactose Free: no