Sun exposure is the most common cause of skin ageing in New Zealand. So now Summer is well and truly here, its time to think about how we can be more vigilant with our sun protection.
It is important to be aware that sunscreens are not 100% effective and we can’t rely solely on them. An SPF rating is only a measure of the protection a sun screen offers from UVB rays. UVB rays are the burning rays that make you go red when you spend too much time in the sun.
There is no SPF measure for how effectively a sunscreen will protect you from UVA rays. UVA rays degrade our collagen and elastin fibres and increase the rate at which our skin ages. The problem with relying solely on sunscreens is that they stop you from burning but they don’t stop you from ageing.
So my advice is to also use physical protection that keeps your skin shaded from the sun.
My tips for keeping your skin looking beautiful all summer are:
- When you have the option, always sit in the shade.
- A wide brimmed hat is a necessity. Make sure that when you hold your hat up to the sun, you can’t see the sun through the gaps in the fibres. If you can see the sun, the sun can see you.
- Leave a hat in the car so you don’t get caught out unexpectedly. I couldn’t tell you the number of times I have been invited out to lunch only to find we are seated outside in the sun.
- If I am spending the day in the sun, like for instance going sailing or hiking, I wear a long sleaved top that is made of sun protective fabric. These tops are purpose made for these situations and usually have good collars that also protect the back of your neck.
- Another thing I keep in my car is a pashmina. If the sun is coming directly in the window, I can throw it over my decollete to protect it from the UV rays.
Lastly, don’t forget your Janesce Suncare Lotion. This really unique product protects your skin in a completely different way to other sunscreens on the market. It is also free of the usual chemicals found in sunscreens. If you use it every day, it will provide you with more than enough protection on the average day when you are working inside and just pop out for short periods of time. If you are spending a large amount of time outside, add another sunscreen and the physical protection I have mentioned. But always apply your Janesce sunscreen first. It is full of antioxidants and therapeutic plants that your skin will love.
So those are my tips for a sun-safe holiday period!